Al Fahidi Historical Neighbourhood – A Must-Visit Dubai Attraction
The Ultra-Modern City might be popular among tourists for its modern architecture, lavish hotels, sprawling shopping malls & entertainment activities. However, Dubai is also home to some historical places such as the Al Fahidi Historical District. Read on to know more about this fascinating cultural attraction of Dubai!
History of Al Fahidi Historical Neighbourhood
Al Fahidi is considered to be one of the oldest torchbearers of Dubai heritage. This fascinating district was once a popular trading hub for textile merchants & pearls in the 1800s. Some of the Old Al Fahidi Architecture has been retained even with the passage of time i.e., the narrow lanes between low buildings.
Did you know? This spell-binding neighbourhood is also known as Al Bastakiya!
The Alluring Quarter – Al Bastakiya Dubai
Talk a walk through the narrow yet winding paths with your loved ones until you come across some beautiful ochre-coloured buildings. These structures are made up of Gypsum, Mud, Coral or Palm Wood. These houses feature wind towers on the top that act as local air conditioning units. Pretty ingenious, right?
Must-Try Al Fahidi Events and Activities
The Al Fahidi Fort & Dubai Museum – A Must-Visit Place in Dubai
- The current Dubai Museum was restored from the ancient Al Fahidi Fort.
- The Dubai Museum usually features on every tourist’s bucket list during a trip to the historic Al Fahidi Neighbourhood.
- This beautiful place houses various exhibits & artefacts that depict Emirati history.
Location – Bur Dubai
Timings – 8.30 AM to 8.30 PM. On Fridays – 2.30 PM to 8.30 PM.
Coins Museum – Popular Place in the Al Fahidi Historical District
- Coin connoisseur? Head over to the vast coin museum!
- This museum boasts 2 floors that showcase a whopping 470 coins that have their origins from different eras.
- If you head over to the third room, then you can get to see Abbasid Caliphate’s Dinars & Dirhams.
Location – Ruler’s Divan
Timings – 8 AM to 2 PM (Friday & Saturday Closed)
Various Events at Al Fahidi Historical Neighbourhood
- Cultural Retreats –Al Fahidi Dubai is a popular hub for art aficionados with XVA Art Hotel being a popular attraction. Apart from this, you can also visit the Majilis Gallery. Both these places display popular artworks.
- Sikka Art Fair – A popular event that attracts UAE-based & Emirati artists.
- Dubai Heritage Week – Every year this enthralling week is based on themes that showcase the cultural attractions of Dubai.
Pro-Tip: Make sure to check out the prices of tickets and any additional tours to experience Al Fahidi Historical District in all its glory.
So, what’s the holdup? The Al Fahidi Neighbourhood offers a peek into the cultural heritage of Dubai. All you need to do is apply for a Dubai Visa UK & get your opportunity to experience Dubai’s ancient history with friends or family.